Sunday, July 3, 2011

Your Baby... The Breast is Best!

I am a firm believer that breastfeeding is the best and healthiest option for you and your baby.  Thanks to mommy's milk, I have a healthy happy five month old who weighs 16 lbs!  I will admit, it was hard the first few weeks... but I'm so glad I stuck with it.  I figured out that breastfeeding is something that both mom and baby have to learn.  At times it can be exasperating, wondering if its ever going to get easier.  For me, having a strong support system to encourage me through those times was so important.



The benefits to breastfeeding are endless.  Studies have actually shown that breastfed babies have higher IQs.  Since a mother's milk is full of nutrients and antibodies, breastfed babies also have higher immune systems.  This leads to healthier babies with less sick time.  

The bond that a mother creates with her new baby through breastfeeding is amazing in itself.  A mother's body actually releases oxytocin while breastfeeding, which is a bonding hormone and a stress relieving chemical too!  What new mom doesn't need a little stress relief?  For me, I feel good knowing that I can give my baby the nutrients she needs - that I can give her something no one else can.  The time spent nursing her is quiet time for just the two of us.

Another wonderful plus to breastfeeding is not having to fix bottles at all hours of the night.  Any new mom will agree that ease and convenience goes a long way in those first few months when sleep deprivation is rampant.  My daughter also co-sleeps with me, so I have the added bonus that neither of us even has to get up for those late night feedings.  I have 'ready made' bottles whenever and wherever we are - and always the perfect temperature for baby.  I couldn't imagine having to fix and clean a million bottles all the time!

Here are some great resources for breastfeeding:

Dr. Sears

La Leche - 24-Hour U.S. Helpline 877-4-LALECHE (877-452-5324) - breastfeeding help is available toll-free in the US from the LLL Breastfeeding Helpline

Breastfeeding.com - from The Bump

Breastfeeding Basics



If you participate in the WIC program, they offer some great help in this area too.  WIC will provide you with a manual breast pump at no charge to you.  They also have Peer Counselors who will be happy to answer any questions you may have - they even make house calls.

May all the mommy's who choose breastfeeding for their babies be blessed with the experience...

TAGS: breastfeeding, moms, babies, pregnancy, bonding

No comments:

Post a Comment