Friday, July 1, 2011

A Whole New You... Becoming a Mom

I'm a first time mom to the most amazing little girl in the world!  Prior to having her, I couldn't have imagined the all consuming love I would feel for her.  For those of you who don't already know, being a mom is a full time job.  My daughter became my whole world the moment she was born.  I love being a mom.  I am slowly learning that it is okay to retain your prior identity in adition to your 'mommy' identity.  This one takes some work...



One of the major ways I feel like I've lost my identity is physically.  I gained over 100 lbs with my pregnancy and it wreaked havoc on my once thin body.  The weight is slowly going away, but there are still lasting reminders of the changes my body went through.  I am trying to take a fresh perspective at the silver stretch marks that now decorate my body - a more positive one than the shame I have been feeling.  I actually read an article today in American Baby magazine that discussed coming up with a more pleasant name than stretch marks.  It had some cute ones that had been submitted.  Some new names women came up with include 'baby stripes', 'medal of motherhood', 'blessed reminders', 'love lines', and 'baby's first artwork'.  After reading that, I had to smile to myself.  I have no reason to avoid the mirror and feel shame for how my post-baby body looks.  Those are my battle scars from the journey to womanhood... the journey of growing and nourishing my baby.  How amazing is it that a woman's body can grow and nourish a new life.  We should feel proud and hold our heads up high.

I've also been realizing the importance of taking a few moments for myself each day.  Even if its only ten minutes to sit on the porch and drink my coffee, its essential to my serenity.  Now don't get me wrong, I adore my baby girl and she rarely ever leaves my side.  I am learning that having a trusted someone play with her for a few minutes is okay though and I don't have to feel guilty about it.  That it is okay to take a little 'me' time.  I love that it leaves me feeling refreshed and renewed, so I can be the best mommy I can be.

My hope is that I can continue to discover new and exciting ways to enjoy motherhood and retain my own identity.  What do you like to do for your 'me' time?

No comments:

Post a Comment